Basic Rat Information

Rats are omnivores and eat just about anything. Rats love grapes and avocados, but the basic rat diet should be a balanced pellet diet. You can complement their pellet diet with vegetables and fruit (fresh or dried). The pellet diet should make up 80 percent of your rat’s diet, with fresh fruits and vegetables making up the other 20 percent.

Avoid feeding your rat chocolate, potato chips, and other unhealthy junky foods, because these are high in fat and can lead to obesity. Vitamins are not necessary as long as the rat has a balanced diet, Rats have similar needs to humans and greatly benefit from daily fresh fruits and vegetables. If your rat isn’t used to that, then it’s recommended that you start off slowly, so you don’t upset their digestive system.

Also, always keep fresh, clean water in a bottle with a stainless steel spout and ball valve. This prevents your pet from tipping its water supply.

Wire cages also provide ample housing for rats, and they have better ventilation than glass aquariums. However, wire-bottomed cages can cause a rat’s feet to become irritated and infected, so a solid-bottom cage is better.There is a great debate about what type of litter or bedding to use for rats. Experts prefer hardwood shavings, Aspen shavings, or pellet beddings. Changing the bedding every three to five days helps cut down on urine odor, especially is you house your rat in an aquarium.


Looking for more information? Browse our archive of articles:

More Questions? Our customer service representatives are happy to address your questions or provide additional information about products. Please Contact Us.

Please Note: Exotic Nutrition is not in a position to provide specific health and care guidelines on an individual basis. Please visit our animal info tabs or consider purchasing a care guide book for additional information. If you have a health or pet emergency issue, please notify your veterinarian or a specialized technician.

Leave a Comment