Squirrels, charismatic and agile creatures, are known for their boundless energy and love for munching on various foods. As responsible squirrel owners, it is crucial to understand what constitutes a healthy and balanced diet for these delightful critters. In this blog post, we will explore the world of toxic, unhealthy, and healthy foods for squirrels, highlighting the importance of a well-rounded meal plan. Additionally, we will recommend these excellent products from Exotic Nutrition: Squirrel Complete, Deluxe Squirrel Diet, Squirrel-Cal (Calcium Supplement) and Squirrel Booster (Multivitamin), to ensure your squirrel receives the optimal nutrition it needs.
Toxic Foods for Squirrels:
Just like with any other animal, certain foods can be toxic or harmful to squirrels. It's crucial to be aware of these foods to prevent any health issues or complications. Here are some common foods that should be avoided:
1. Chocolate: While it may be a delightful treat for us, chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to squirrels and can lead to severe health problems.
2. Avocado: Avocados contain persin, a substance that is toxic to many animals, including squirrels. Consumption can lead to breathing difficulties and heart-related issues.
3. Onions and Garlic: Onions and garlic, in any form, can be harmful to squirrels as they can cause damage to their red blood cells, leading to anemia.
Unhealthy Foods for Squirrels:
Certain foods, although not toxic, should be limited or avoided due to their negative impact on squirrels' health. These foods often lack essential nutrients or contain excessive amounts of sugar, salt, or unhealthy fats. Here are some examples:
1. Processed Foods: Foods like chips, cookies, and other processed snacks are high in unhealthy fats, sugar, and salt. These can lead to weight gain, dental issues, and other health problems in squirrels.
2. High-Sugar Fruits: While fruits are generally considered healthy, feeding fruits in excess will result in a high sugar content that can be detrimental to squirrels.
3. Nuts High in Salt: Salted nuts, such as salted peanuts or cashews, should be avoided as excessive salt consumption can lead to dehydration and kidney problems in squirrels.
Healthy Foods for Squirrels:
Now that we are aware of the potential dangers, let's focus on the positive aspects of a squirrel's diet. These foods are rich in essential nutrients and should form the core of your squirrel's meal plan:
1. Fresh Fruits and Vegetables: Offer a variety of fruits and vegetables such as apples, carrots, leafy greens, and berries. These provide essential vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber for a healthy digestive system. ZooPro Garden Fresh Re-Hydrate makes it easy to add a variety of healthy fruits & vegetables to your pet’s diet! This nutritious blend vegetables, apple and carrots provides a low-fat, calcium-rich supplement food for squirrels. Serve dry as a crunchy treat or add water to make a fresh, juicy snack.
2. Nuts and Seeds: Squirrels love nuts! Offer a mix of unsalted nuts like almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts. Seeds like sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are also excellent choices. Try our Premium Nut Mix or Fruit & Nut Mix for a convenient variety of pre-mixed nuts that are ready to feed!
3. Squirrel-Specific Diets: To ensure a balanced diet, consider incorporating specially formulated squirrel diets like Exotic Nutrition's Squirrel Complete and Deluxe Squirrel Diet. These products are designed to meet the nutritional needs of squirrels, providing essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
Supplements and Multi-Vitamins:
To further enhance your squirrel's well-being, Exotic Nutrition's Squirrel-Cal (Calcium Supplement) and Squirrel Booster (Multivitamin) are excellent additions. These supplements are specifically designed to support overall health, immunity, and vitality in squirrels.
A well-balanced diet is essential for the health and happiness of your squirrel companion. By avoiding toxic and unhealthy foods and incorporating a mix of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, and specially formulated diets like Exotic Nutrition's Squirrel Complete and Deluxe Squirrel Diet, you can ensure your squirrel receives the optimal nutrition it needs. Don't forget to complement their diet with the Squirrel Booster multi-vitamin to promote overall wellness. Remember, a healthy squirrel is a happy squirrel!
Notice: Exotic Nutrition cannot provide specific care guidelines on an individual basis. Please contact a veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitation clinic.
Exotic Nutrition is proud to serve hundreds of universities, zoological parks, veterinarians, research centers and other institutions seeking to advance the health and well-being of exotics worldwide. See a full list of institutions using our products here.
Exotic Nutrition has a heart for animals in need. Through regular donations to rescues, rehabilitators, and special fundraiser events, Exotic Nutrition is making a significant impact in the lives of animals. See a full list of our charitable donations here.